It has been snowing all day! And it is so beautiful! But I am so grateful to my friend and neighbor Jami for saving me from driving in it today! It's only a few inches deep, and in Utah, I would have been sure to take main roads and go slower, but I never would have considered staying homebound for weather like this. But Jami saw me scraping off my car this morning as I was getting ready to take Elijah to another friend while I went to the doctor for a baby visit, and in essence, said, "DON'T GO!! IT'S NOT WORHT IT!" I literally live about 3 blocks from the office, but it is up a very steep hill. Since Jami was homebound, too, she graciously and generously agreed to watch Elijah while I walked up the hill to my appointment. I was SO GLAD to get a first hand look at several pedestrians using the road as a sidewalk because they had abandoned their cars, stuck tow-trucks (I'm sure they were there to bail someone out, and got stuck themselves), a string of cars a block long that weren't going anywhere, and even a minor accident! It was a nice, festive, safe walk for me, and a solidifying testimony that I am never driving anywhere in the snow in Morgantown! You see, you can scarce get from point A to point B here without a pretty serious hill, and for some reason, there are no sidewalks and no shoulders on the sides of the roads (I walked in the street and in people's yards: there are virtually no fences here, either). In fact, because the weather is so wet in the spring and summer, there are actually large ditches on the sides of the roads that turn into rivers when it rains, and traps when it snows. It's very lovely and Christmas-y though, and fun to look at out the window! Thank you Jami for sharing your wisdom and caring about me!
August 2024
4 weeks ago





6 comments:
Good thing you have people looking after you! Sounds like a very good thing you didn't drive. Sounds like its going to be a fun winter for you! And by the way, I did your tag, so check it out! :)
I am glad you made it safe. Jami is an angel. We locals for get how bad it gets when the snow falls until it falls. It took John over and hour this morning not to get to school.
Good friends and good neighbors are priceless! I'm glad there are people looking out for my little sis!
Its crazy isn't it? I never thought I'd be afraid of driving in the snow after driving for years in UT. I stay home now!
Mary, you are so sweet to give me so much praise. I was only looking out for a good friend. I'm glad you're still alive and I would love to watch Elijah any other time you need to walk!
Yikes, you know how to scare a mom! You be careful on the road, because you didn't inherit good DRIVING GENES.
(Though I'm sure you're a good driver, I'm a bad one)
Love, Mom
Post a Comment