Friday, November 30, 2007

A new chapter!


Wow! Several months ago (maybe even a year?) Elijah fell out of his crib, and he never tried it again, until last night. He's gained some height as well as some large motor skills since his last attempt, and last night he just jumped down and took off running! We have a toddler bed set up in his room and I always said I would follow my cousin Heather's example and put him in it as soon as we were expecting a new baby, so that Elijah wouldn't feel booted by the baby. I forgot how tired and sick you are when you start out, though, and despite Elijah's verbal requests to sleep in the big boy bed, I just kept telling him, "Mommy's not ready." Well, Elijah is so ready we just plain don't have a choice anymore! I knew we'd be putting him back into something all night, so it may as well be the toddler bed! We did the mechanical, emotionless, silent return-you-to-bed-every-time-you-get-out routine, and it only took 2 hours (almost exactly!) of hard physical labor picking him up as he fought for him to give up. I was very emotional because the poor kid tried everything, "I don't wanna nap, Mom!," "I wanna prayer!" "I want some milk!" "I need a tissue!" "I want the toys!" and the worst one of all, "Mama, I wanna hug!" I cried, exhausted when he finally fell asleep...I was just not prepared to do it. But, I knew it would be hard, which is why I could never get myself to CHOOSE to take it on. Today for his nap, it was only like 20 minutes of tag, and he got himself back in the bed most of the time, so it was much easier and I think he'll learn quick. He's a smart kid though, he always learns quick!

He's been begging to use the toilet for months...I just keep saying "Mommy's not ready." He sits on the toilet, wipes, flushes and washes his hands every day... and sometimes he pulls of his diaper. One of these days he may just force that issue, too!

So, if you didn't catch it earlier, we're having a baby! It's due June 21st, and we don't know what it is yet, but we will be finding out this time. We are thrilled! Because happiness is... family, especially little growing young ones! This is such a fun time of life!

12 comments:

lynettebutler said...

I was also a "mommy's not ready" mommy.

In fact I didn't try to potty train you until you came up to me and said: "I want big girl panties from K-Mart!"

The good news: You never had an accident.

I love this blog! Love, Mom

Diane Owen said...

Hey guys, glad you joined the bandwagon! Congrats on the new baby! Isn't it great fun when kids just grow up without your permission? Cute boy!

Jami Jackson said...

I'm so proud of you Mary!! Although I live right next door to you and can just pop in to see what you are doing, I will still be visiting your blog often. Your family is too cute, especially that Elijah . . . he's so independent!!

Britters and Parx said...

I love it Mary! I feel so much closer to you already with this blog. =) It was great talking to you yesterday. =)

Brit

D said...

Wow! This is so cool! I've never come across a blog before that's about raising a family. Seems like most people don't know what to say even though it's the most important thing you can do. I hesitate in writing a blog myself because all I'm thinking about lately is my students and I can't really blog about them. Thanks for letting us know what's going on in your lives!

Emy said...

Congrats on expecting another addition. I'll be checking your blog often. Is it ok if I post a link to your blog from the Seminary Council blog?

Doni, do you know me? I know a Doni that went to Skyline and was two years younger than Mary and I. The Doni I know was in Chemistry class with me and a very sweet girl. I'd love to know if it is you.

Emy5 said...

It's good to hear about Elijah's little milestones. Bedtimes and potty training...oh the joys...

Melissa: said...

Oh, you're a good mommy, he's a lucky boy! I love the clever tactics, too cute! I can't wait to see you in 16 days. (hooray!!!)

Melissa: said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Nettie said...

I love that everyone is getting in the blogging spirit! It makes it so much easier to get to know people! Like the fact that your mom's name is Lynette. Who knew?

I'm in the not ready for them too move on club, too. Good for you, for holding firm, though!

And congratulations on your new baby. It's going to be a fun summer around here with all these new babies!

Melissa: said...

Mary, I know Brittany has tagged you, and I have tagged PHil...check out our blogs to see what we mean...

D said...

Emy, yes it's me! How are you?